I am going to share now what I have been debating with myself for quite some time about sharing. A little over two years ago when I went through a tremendous health scare, I was surrounded by fellow Christians. The doctrine that this particular group of friends adheres to teaches that "the" initial evidence of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues. Because receiving the Holy Spirit is necessary for salvation, this group of friends feels it is a priority to guide people into the process that, in their eyes, is receiving the Holy Spirit. My issue arose in not truly knowing the details of this doctrine (among other doctrines) for several months and in having this health scare within weeks of becoming involved in this group. I have never been more terrified in my life than when I went through this scare. I hated every doctor's visit. I dreaded any tests. To this day, I get pretty stressed when it comes time for my yearly check-up.

Here is where authenticity comes into play. I am trying to write this as sensitively as possible while still conveying the emotion I felt. Each week, as I was going through this scare, I would have a group of people gather around me and tell me to just give it to God. They would encourage me to let God take control. In my mind, with what I was going through, they were praying with me about this trial that I was going through. I felt comforted. I felt loved. If I had known originally that they were trying to get me to speak in tongues, I may have left this group; but at least I would have respected their honesty.

However, it was only through piecing together teachings from Bible studies and a few sermons (from visiting evangelists) that I came to understand this doctrine. Call me stupid, but in all my years of studying theology and even from my early years of growing up in Foursquare and Assemblies of God churches, I had no idea that there was a doctrine that felt speaking in tongues was the only evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit and, (although it was not taught directly), salvation. (My family did leave these churches when I was relatively young - around nine or ten probably. That may have been the reason I did not realize this doctrine).

When I realized that my fellow believers had been praying for me to "receive the Holy Spirit," with little regard for the very real issue I was going through, I had the hardest time handling that. This coupled with an emphasis on holiness and doctrines of works were more than I can fathom. I truly went into a depression. I did not know why God had allowed me to come to this group of people. I had no clue why He was making me feel like I was supposed to be there. I now believe I had to go through this two years in order to come to terms with what I believe. That was my time of struggling - of wrestling - with God. I most definitely had my hip pulled out of place. And God has made me stronger in His calling and His purpose. I cannot allow anyone now to take what I know of God from me.

So this leads me back to authenticity. When any Christian church tries to lure people into Christianity with lights and music and whatever else, that indicates an agenda. It is not authenticity. I have fallen into this trap as well. There are so many evangelistic strategies. I'm sure I've studied many of them through college classes and church meetings. Until I went through something that taught me what it feels like, I had no problem with these strategies. But now I know that no one needs that. To put it bluntly, no one deserves that kind of torture - to believe people really and truly care about what they are going through only to discover it's a strategy, an agenda, or a project. That is nothing short of cruelty. And the Jesus I know isn't into cruelty.

What God has taught me through my experiences is never to hide what I am, what I believe, what I stand for. People can love me or hate me. People can take or leave me. But I cannot hide that. I won't put someone else through what I have been through in the name of Christianity.

Just some thoughts today.

Comments

Popular Posts