Craving the Real

I am having an interesting discussion.  It all started with a question posed in a writers' forum of whether the group members had ever seen or read Harry Potter.  I have seen the movies, because my family enjoys them.  I have never read the books.  They just are not my thing.

As I was discussing this topic with others, it really occurred me that, at this point in my life, I crave reality.  I crave people in the midst of struggles.  Those struggles may or may not get the best of them.  That is human.

I believe, as a society, we have gotten so far away from reality; and that really, really bothers me.  We want flashing lights and extreme technology and video games and social media and reality TV and books and movies about teenage heroines who overcome corrupt governmental systems.  We want fairy tale romances rather than the dirty, ugly truth about what love truly is.  We prefer to see the sunshine and rainbows through the rose-colored glasses of thinking positively than to take a stand against what is wrong in our lives and society.

Right now, I am researching Thomas Hutchinson, a British loyalist during the American Revolution, for a research paper.  I think I am doing that, at least partially, because I want to see someone who struggled and didn't win.  I want to see people who are not covered in a garb of unrealistic nationalism or pretty poetry.

I want to see losers sometimes.  After all, we all lose at times.  That's a part of reality.


Comments

Popular Posts