Random Earth Day Thoughts

The following are some random thoughts this Earth Day:

Regarding the quote: "When all the trees are cut down, when all the animals are dead, when all the waters are poisoned, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money," I think this is my theme this Earth Day. We always celebrate Earth Day by planting our gardens and recycling, etc. Just last night, Taliesin and Nathanael started a compost pile. We've been wanting to do it for a while. But my mindset this Earth Day is also on how society views normality. I'm so tired of our mindset that money-based success is the goal. It's not. Money does not make someone wealthy or worthy.  

Imagine when our money-based, "successful" society has no value...
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”
And He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” And He said, “Write, for these words are faithful and true.” Then He said to me, “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. “He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son. “But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. - Revelation 21:1-8, NIV.

Last night, Nathanael was researching chemistry experiments. He and Taliesin are almost finished with their human anatomy and physiology study. This summer, they want to go more relaxed and do some more nature studies. Then this fall, Taliesin is picking more biology studies and Nathanael wants to get into chemistry. Last night, I kept hearing Nathanael ooh and ahh over experiments he wants to try. He is amazed by science. He doesn't feel he has to do science to get a good grade. He doesn't feel he has to do science so he can go to college so he can make a lot of money. He is amazed by it. That is how learning happens. It happens in amazement. It happens in the joy of learning.  

This is just a thought I've been having for a while now. There is a song on Christian radio (I love the message of the song, btw, it's just ironic to me) that says, "I don't need my name in lights. I'm famous in my father's eyes..." It's a great message, honestly, that I agree with. However, the song is being played on radio. That gives it fame. There is a Taylor Swift song that says "'Cause the players gonna play, play, play. And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate. Baby I'm just gonna shake.... it off." Again, I love the meaning of the song. But, really, is she truly shaking it off if she's writing a song about it and putting it on the radio?
That is today's society. People that really are well-known are pretending to understand those who are not. People who have never had to struggle are pretending to understand those whose life has been nothing but strife. I can guarantee you, it is not as easy to shake something off when you don't have your song on the radio offering advice to do so. The simple life is not having a garden in a $100,000.00 house.
The people that are on TV or radio or the internet telling people it is okay if they are not heard are the ones who are being heard by millions. The ones who are telling people to live a simple life consider being able to play golf on weekends normal relaxation. And the thing is, they look down on people if they do not have the same mindset.  


Comments

Popular Posts