Why "All Lives Matter" Is a Slap in the Face

Several years ago, I had a discussion with someone (a leader) in a church. We were in a study together, and I cannot remember what the topic was. However, the conversation came around to privilege. I said, in my experiences in the organized church, there are some people who have a permanent place on the platform. No matter what, that person will always have that place saved. There are other people who have a permanent place on the back pew. No matter what, that will always be that person's place. It is based upon privilege, not upon who God calls. The person disagreed with me. He was, as I said, a leader. That started me on my study of privilege and oppression.
It continued when I worked at Walmart. People (managers, sometimes even customers) assumed because I worked at Walmart I was uneducated. I mean, why would I work there if I wasn't? I had customers assume I could not count back change. Assumptions that cause this mindset is another form of privilege and oppression.
Fast forward a couple of years. I had a conversation with a male relative that came around to the topic of sexism. This male relative insisted sexism does not exist because he has never seen it. No matter what I told him about my experiences, it would not change his mind or even cause him to consider a different viewpoint. Privilege and oppression.
When I wrote my thesis on the subject of classism and how it has been a part of our American heritage, I was sure to mention in my defense that many doubt classism exists because they have never been on the receiving end. That's the way it is with isms. Unless you have experienced it, you refuse to say it happens.
This is why I support Black Lives Matter. I despise the response "all lives matter," not because only black lives matter. I despise it because I know what it feels like when I tried to say, "Privilege exists in organized churches" and the response was, "No it doesn't." I know what it feels like when I have said, "Working people are often treated like they are stupid," and the response was, "No they're not!" I know what it feels like when I said, "I have experienced sexism," and was told, "I don't see how that's possible." Yes, all these things exist, and it is time we pointed it out. I stand with the oppressed.

Comments

Popular Posts