I have been thinking a lot about why I have a hard time "fitting in" mainstream Christianity.  And I think a lot of it comes down to grace.  Please allow me to explain.  To put it bluntly, grace is offensive. 

In order for there to be grace, there either has to be the possibility of sin or a sin that has already been committed.  But sin has to exist, regardless of what societal rules tell us.  This is offensive to some more liberal or progressive doctrines. 

Grace is also forgiving.  And not just forgiving... also forgetting.  It does not continuously remind us of that time were were not holy in order to ensure we will never be that unholy again.  Therefore, grace often offends some who adhere to more conservative doctrines. 

Where does this leave a person like me? 

I read something yesterday that said we minister to others from wounds we have received.  This is not a new idea - the idea of a wounded healer.  This idea fits me.  That's my niche.  Grace.  No matter how offensive it may be, it fits.  Better than designer jeans.  Better than a new hairstyle.  Better than cowboy boots or a favorite perfume. 

Someone once told me I am lot like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.  I am always wanting to "go home," because I feel I have no place of my own.  I do not feel a part.  How appropriate that analogy is.  I think, though, that home is grace.  There is really no other way to put it.  Come to think of it, maybe that's part of what makes heaven so perfect.  No one who is there deserves to be.  Other than Jesus, of course.  It's filled with people because of grace alone. 

Just some thoughts today. 

Comments

Popular Posts