The Human Factor of the Bible

"For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want" (Romans 7:14-19, NASB).

Have you ever wondered if we would be able to look into mind of some of our favorite people of the Bible, what we would see. Take Paul, the one who wrote these words above to the church of Rome. I have always believed that Paul had an intense struggle with pride. That's why he hated it so much. I believe the sin we hate the most is the one that, if we gave in, we would see manifest itself in us. Everyone of us have this inner turmoil.

If my favorite Book of the New Testament is Romans, my favorite Book of the Old Testament is Jeremiah. Here's why:

"O Lord, You have deceived me and I was deceived. You have overcome me and prevailed. I have become a laughingstock all day long; everyone mocks me. For each time I speak, I cry aloud; I proclaim violence and destruction, because for me the word of the Lord has resulted in reproach and derision all day long. But if I say, 'I will not remember Him or speak anymore in His name,' then my heart becomes like a burning fire shut up in my bones; and I am weary or holding it in, and I cannot endure it. For I have heard the whispering of many, 'Terror on every side! Denounce him; yes, let us denounce him!' All my trusted friends, watching for my fall, say: 'Perhaps he will be deceived, so that we may prevail against him and take our revenge on him'" (Jeremiah 20:7-10).

These are not the words of a writer trying to shed negative light on a hero of the Bible. These are the words of the prophet God chose from the womb. But it doesn't end there. Jeremiah continues a few Verses later, "Cursed be the day I was born; let the day not be blessed when my mother bore me! Cursed be the man who brought the news to my father saying, 'A baby boy has been born to you!' And made him very happy. But let that man be like the cities which the Lord overthrew without rejoicing, and let him hear an outcry in the morning and a shout of alarm at noon; because he did not kill me before birth, so that my mother would have been my grave, and her womb ever pregnant. Why did I ever come forth from the womb to look on trouble and sorrow, so that my days have been spent in shame?" (Jeremiah 20:14-18).

I could mention Elijah, who asked God to kill him. I could mention David who asked God to kill his enemies (in pretty drastic fashion at that). I could mention Peter, because really, who knows what kind of thoughts crossed his mind after he denied Jesus?

The Bible is not afraid to show the hurt, the fears, the mental anguish God's people have gone through. It is just us, as God's followers today, that are. We hold the Christian ideal on a pedestal; and, even if we have to live in denial, we will stake everything on that pedestal.

Comments

Popular Posts