With Whom Do we Dine?

I am not Catholic.  But I am intrigued by Pope Francis.

While he is human like the rest of us (meaning all of us have our human failures and mistakes and inadequacies), I believe he truly cares about people.  He is not afraid to take a controversial stand, even if it goes against popular theology.  He doesn't even worship the capitalism Americanized Christianity promotes.  This is a man who promotes helping non-Christian refugees.

Just a while ago I was reading an article that states yesterday after his visit to the White House, the Pope refused a meal with Congress because he already had an appointment to dine with and help feed the homeless at St. Patrick's Church.  I don't know about you, but I'd say that sounds a lot like something Jesus would do.  And it's something we all should think about.

I've been having a number of conversations lately about classes.  It began with a research paper I wrote for one of my human services classes on the topic of classism.  It continued with work issues in which, at least in my opinion, classism has been rearing its ugly head.  Most recently, it was a conversation with a friend about our goals and our outlook on what we want to be and with whom we want to be associated.

I believe in today's American society, it is so easy to fall into the worship of "success."  By success, I mean the so-called American dream, which has evolved into the idea that we should get the best education... to get a "good job..." to make a lot of money... to buy a new house and car... to take a vacation to Las Vegas every year... The list goes on.  If it is not clear from the list, the root of this lifestyle is "money."  It is "prestige."  It is being revered by "society."

As ironic as it sounds describing a man who is the head of an entire religion, I don't think the Pope wants that.  I could be wrong.  But what I gather when I see the Pope is someone who wants to use his position of influence to help others.  I see him as someone who wants to use his position to better the world in a real way, not in a way that makes the most money.

Many have pointed out that he appears too soft on some issues that are very close to my heart - issues such as abuse by the church and abuse of people who share my heritage.  Native Americans have criticized his canonization of Junipero Serra.   I have to remember about these issues that the Pope is still tied to certain expectations.  He is on a journey, I believe, in many ways - as we all are.  It may be that he has not gotten to that point yet.  But I do see someone who is willing grow as well.  I have seen him apologize for atrocities that have in the past been hidden.  He is making progress.

The Bible tells us that during His life on earth, Jesus was accused of being a glutton and a drunkard and of being a friend of sinners (Matthew 11:19).  We see Him associating with people whom the religious leaders of the time would never consider.  They were too holy and too revered for that.  I believe we have seen so far that Pope Francis is not too holy or too revered.  He isn't too successful to follow Jesus' example.  We shouldn't be, either.

Comments

Popular Posts