No Longer Limiting Myself

This week, I started a new job.  This unschooler is working as a para at a local elementary school.  I'm loving it.  I feel great about helping the kids I am helping.  I have a wonderful work schedule that allows extra time with my family.  And, of course, we are continuing to unschool.

I am also thinking about changing my major for my second master's degree.  Right now, I am enrolled in a pastoral counseling program.  My cognate is community chaplaincy.  I would absolutely love to become a prison chaplain.  I love volunteering for prison ministries (something I am actually planning to do more now that my new work schedule allows more time to do so).

As I have written more than once, I love ministry.  Aside from prison ministries, I facilitate Bible studies in the community.  Of course, our own organic housechurch is a vast part of this ministry.  However, I doubt that I will ever be able to be a prison chaplain.

Right now, I am taking a fantastic course covering the basics of chaplaincy for my master's program.  It all sounds wonderful.  However, there are obstacles.

First and foremost, according to guidelines for federal prison systems, a chaplain cannot begin his or her work past the age of thirty-seven.  I'm forty, so that leaves me out.  People who truly discover themselves later in life than the general norm (people like me) are left out of such career options.  

Secondly, becoming a chaplain of any kind requires board certification and ordination by the chaplain's own denomination.  This would be difficult, since I do not have a denomination.  I am not even a part of a traditional church.  I love housechurching and the freedom it entails.

Thirdly, if chaplaincy is a part of God's plan, my first master's degree in human services with a Christian ministries cognate provided a good background for that.  I can always pursue more education when  needed.  For now, though, I think I would like to change.  I'm leaning toward a history degree.

If I cannot work in a professional ministry setting, I, eventually, would love to work with adults pursuing their education - be that adults seeking their GEDs or adults seeking community college or college-level studies.  A master's degree in a subject I have always been passionate about will coincide with my education degree (as my Christian ministries master's degree coincides with my bachelor's in religion).  Why limit myself to one area?


Here are some lessons I am learning from my new experiences and decisions.  I do not have to prove myself.  Within a professional ministry setting, I know I would feel the need to prove that I can do it.  I would feel this simply because in a traditional church setting, I always felt this.  I always felt out of place and as though I was being scrutinized.  In the ministry settings in which I now minister, I do not feel this need.  In the ministries in which I currently minister, I feel acceptance and encouragement.

I'm okay with ministry as I now minister.  I'm okay - in fact I'm great - with working professionally in education.  I'm okay with studying to further that profession rather than professional ministry while continuing to minister in every area God opens up.

I have always told my sons they do not have to limit themselves to one career field or one job or one interest.  They can pursue whatever they want to pursue. They can learn whatever they want to learn.  They should follow all of their passions.  I'm learning that as well.  I'm no longer limiting myself.

Comments

Popular Posts