The Privilege of Being Trump

When I became pregnant with my older son, I had not yet legally married my sons' father.  I was told by the pastor of the church that I attended that I would still have a place in the church.  I just could not be visible.  For instance, I would have to stop playing the guitar in the worship team.  That would not look good.

This same pastor was counseling another individual - an individual who was physically and emotionally abusive to his then fiancee.  This pastor officiated their wedding a few months later.  He could not say enough good things about the groom and his unconditional love.  Not long after, the bride was in the emergency room because of domestic violence.  

As I read of the evangelical community's support for Donald Trump, these memories flood back to me.  Donald Trump has been proven again and again to be a bully against those who are disabled and against women.  Yet still the evangelical community rallies behind him and defends him as the best Presidential candidate.  It's sad and it's infuriating.

I am sure if Donald Trump were a poor, working-class woman attending almost any evangelical church in the United States, she would have a permanent place on the back pew.  Unless, of course, she married up in the church.  It's a double-standard based upon sexism and privilege that is all-too-prevalent in our so-called Christian society today.  It is yet another reason that I, for one, am thankful not to be a part of the Americanized Christian society.

Call me a follower of Jesus.  Call  me a Jesus Freak.  But please do not associate me with this group of individuals.

Comments

Popular Posts