Finished...

As a grad student, I love to share what I am leaning with others.  I love to apply my studies to life.

Unfortunately, most of the people I know are not interested in what I am learning.  They smile and nod and give me a "great."  Sometimes they follow it up with, "I have just never been into... (insert whatever topic)."

What is ironic to me is those same people will congratulate me when I graduate.  They have congratulated me with my past graduations.  They will express genuine happiness that I have accomplished such a milestone.

And that's all fine and good, but isn't school, in general, about more than graduation?  Isn't it supposed to be about the new things we learn and new ideas we formulate?  Is the purpose of an education to be done with it?  To graduate?  To never have to do it again?

This applies to other areas of life as well.  How many people share what they enjoy about their jobs?  Work has simply become a means to an end - the end of getting a paycheck.

Isn't life meant to be enjoyed?  Isn't learning meant to be savored?  Why must there always be an ulterior motive for our actions?  Why must graduation be more exciting than studying?  Why must a paycheck be more exciting that work experiences?

Just some things on my mind this morning.




Comments

Popular Posts