Socialization

I am thinking about socialization.  One of the first questions homeschoolers get asked is, "What about socialization?"  I got it when I was in fifth grade in the 1980s.  I get it today with my sons.  I would think eventually the critics would come up with a different question, but that day is  not today.  

That said, something hit me today.  I think I know why it is always the first question.  It's because people have become accustomed to leaving socialization up to public schools.  They do not understand that - or do not want to think about - there are other ways for children to socialize.  

I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to set up a play date or a get-together at a museum or a park or wherever just to have the idea shot down.  I often hear, "I don't think we can make it" or "We just do not have the time."  It happens all the time.  But then I see the same parents on social media getting together with their own friends.  They have caught on to the idea of real socializing for themselves.  They just haven't caught onto it for their kids.  They realize the opportunities for themselves.  However, they do not see they can do the same things with their kids.  (I'm still undecided if they do not see or if they do not want to see.  If they truly do not think about these opportunities for their children of if they do not want to be inconvenienced by doing something just for their kids).  

Socialization is an interesting idea.  We, as a society, just need to realize that we do not have to leave everything up to the professionals.  It's perfectly okay to allow our kids to socialize outside of a school environment.  One day perhaps we will get to this point.  Maybe then critics of homeschooling can find a new argument.  

Comments

Popular Posts