Don't Pull Me Back into the Pit

I remember hearing a Beth Moore Bible study about the pit we often find ourselves in.  In this study, the Bible teacher discussed the idea that when we get out of our pit (whatever pit that is), others we know who are still in the pit will try to pull us back down.  I see this lesson over and over again in my own life. 

When I was growing up and even into my early adult life, I was the victim of emotional and sometimes spiritual abuse.  (I also experienced spiritual abuse as an adult, as previous blog posts have shown).  The emotional abuse, though, came from the people to whom I was closest.  I do not wish those people - the ones how are still living - evil.  I wish them well.  I can see them on the street and say hello.  I can pray for them when tragedy strikes them.  I can pray for their everyday well-being.  I cannot say there is peace between us, but there is tolerance.  And that is great.  However, I cannot have those people be an everyday part of my life.  I just can't.  There is still too much pain there. 

There are others who try to bring those people back into my life.  They try to mention to them to me.  They try to tell me about them.  I cannot handle that.  I cannot handle the feelings that arise.  I cannot be dragged back into that pit.  That part of their lives has to be separate from my life. 

Comments

Popular Posts