Taking Time to Slow Down and Relax

In the past couple of days, my family and I have visited two adorable, little towns within an hour of where we live. Yesterday, we visited a town where the keys to the town museums (there were three) were at the bank across the street from the museums themselves.  When I went to the bank to find out about the keys (there was a sign on the door of the first museum that told us where to find them), the lady was just going to hand me the key ring to unlock the museums myself.  When I appeared a little confused, another lady who was not busy said she could get it for us. Things are a lot slower-paced and more full of trust there.

After visiting the museums, which included a museum featuring the town's history, a school that had been on the Kansas range in the late 1800s, and a historical train depot; we made our way to an art gallery. An elderly man in a wheelchair and his 18-year old cat greeted us.  The man, we discovered, was the artist behind all of the art in the gallery.  He told us about his work, his daughter's artwork, his tutoring.  He shook all of our hands before we left.

We then made our way down the street to a sundries shop.  We had homemade ice cream and played pool on the pool table upstairs.  Let me tell you, the homemade mud pie ice cream in a waffle cone was awesome!

Today, we traveled to another small town.  We had to set a time to visit the local military history museum because the museum volunteer had to know what time to come unlock the door.  The museum contained some wonderful artifacts, including items belonging to the first Kansan who was killed in Vietnam and medals that had belonged to the man's uncle who was a decorated war hero of World War II.  We also found a marker to reflect where the Santa Fe Trail met the Chisholm Trail and saw wild bison at a wildlife refuge.

My favorite, though, had to be the Victorian tea shop and antique store.  It was perfect.  I love all things Victorian.  Of course, I had to purchase a few, small antiques to support this lovely endeavor (and to add to my collection).  I discovered the sisters who own the store (who are also volunteers at the museum and wildlife refuge) hold monthly tea events/lunches at the tea house.  Next month's theme is The Great Gatsby!  I really have got to try to make it.

The thing about small towns is they show you life doesn't have to be all stress and all hurry.  Sometimes we have to slow down and relax.  I have been working on writing a thesis this summer.  I just turned it into my committee for revisions.  I love writing, and I have loved the research.  But I have to admit I needed the past couple of days just to unwind a little.  Just to enjoy myself.  Just to do nothing.

Image may contain: shoes and outdoor

Comments

Popular Posts