Goals

Goals. 

Everyone has them, right?  We have goals at work. We have goals at home.  We have goals for ourselves. We have goals for our kids. Goals are what makes the world go 'round.  If we don't have them, we're unmotivated at best, lazy at worst. 

I saw a social media post today from a mom who wrote all during the school year, her daughter was forced to read twenty minutes every evening. (I mean, after all, we do not want our kids to lag behind in reading, and reading everyday encourages proper reading skills). The girl would set a timer, and at the end of that twenty minutes, she had met her goal and she was done. This summer, though, the mother noticed something. Her daughter was not given any reading goals. Her daughter, though, had been in her room reading for four hours that day alone.

Every summer I participate in our public library's summer reading program. Reading is one of my favorite hobbies, so it's a natural interest for me to take part in. However, I have noticed, when I push myself to read so many books, I become more frustrated. I do not enjoy the hobby I generally take delight in.  When I relax and stop thinking about goals (goals I place on myself, mind you. I can read one book and be counted in the reading program itself), I enjoy my time reading and read more and comprehend more. 

I have noticed the same thing with physical exercise. Our city's hospital recently built an inclusive park. My family and I have spent hours and hours there, just enjoying the play equipment, the workout equipment, the walking/jogging track. In fact, it is such an inspiring place, I have started using it to exercise regularly. And it has been so relaxing. Again, though, I notice when I put a specific goal upon myself (gotta get those 6,000 steps in so my phone does not remind me I have not accomplished them yet), I enjoy my time there less.  When I exercise for the enjoyment of the physical activity, I exercise more and better. I do not hurry through it.

                                                                                                                     Image may contain: shoes, grass and outdoor

I have to think our goal-centered society has the wrong idea. We seem to think the more we push ourselves, the more we push our kids, the more we or they will accomplish. I believe differently, though. I have to think the less we push ourselves to earn the gold star, the more we enjoy the journey and the more we seek that enjoyment. When we allow ourselves to follow our natural propensities, when we allow our bodies and our minds time to digest our activities, we accomplish more and enjoy those accomplishments. We can find joy in our lives.

I believe much of the anxiety and depression we experience today stems from our obsession with goals. We have to accomplish. We have to prove. We have to show ourselves worthy. Such thoughts diminish our self-worth and inflict misery upon our hearts. I wish more people would discover what this mother in this social media post discovered - goals can often hinder more than they help.

Comments

Popular Posts