Positive, Negative, or Neither

I have written a lot about what I call the cult of positive thinking.  I have written about the psychological damage.  I have written about the difference between positive thinking and faith.  I have written about how I believe we are socialized into believing that real emotion is wrong and somehow does not have a place in our lives and society.  But this morning I read something that really make me think.

This morning I read that the conservative brain is "happier" than the liberal brain.  According to this research, the liberal brain is often more depressed.  The position of the author was that conservative leans are better and more helpful, then, than liberal leans.

Of course, I had to disagree.  Not that I'm conservative or liberal (or moderate, for that matter).  I am the type of person that it really depends on the issue how I feel.  But I do not agree that just because someone appears happier or more positive that this is more beneficial.

I did, however, agree with the findings of the research.  Throughout my teen and young adult years, I was very conservative in my political and religious beliefs.  I devoured inspirational quotes and considered myself very positive and optimistic.  I was also very legalistic and judgmental.  I did not know or care about the pain in the real world.

Until I experienced it.

Until I experienced the legalism.

Until I experienced the judgment.

Until I experienced the looks of disapproval.

Until I experienced people's opinions being able to halt my own growth.

Until I experienced having to ask for help for food.

Until I experienced not having enough money.

Until I experienced....

Now I know.  And I do not find inspirational quotes so inspirational.  I do not think it is wise (or godly) to think positively about the world's problems.  I do not think seeing the negative viewpoint is harmful.  I believe it can be beneficial to feel depressed over other people's problems.

Maybe my brain has become more liberal.  Maybe that's not a bad thing.

Comments

Popular Posts