Different Strokes

I know a lot of people who are into nutrition.  I know a lot of people who are into natural remedies.  I know a lot of people who are into essential oils.  I think it's great.  I am all for people doing what they feel is best, for following their interests and talents.  

However, I always run into the same issue.  So often the individuals are so passionate about their beliefs that they feel they should share their beliefs with others.  And that's fine.  There is nothing wrong with telling others about what we are passionate about.  Believe me, I do it all the time.  

However, there is a fine line between providing information and pushing guilt onto other people because they are not able or even just have no interest in the same sorts of things.  I have had more than one discussion with more than one person over the years that, for one, not everyone can afford to do the same things. Some people can barely afford a box of macaroni and cheese or cereal for the kids, let alone essential oils.  Some people do not have the time to do these things - especially among the poor, who are working two or three jobs to pay the bills.  

Then there is the issue of ability.  I just wrote a little example of what it would be like if I tried to guilt or shame people into following my talents or my passions.  It goes like this:  

I have decided something. Science shows exercising one's brain helps guard against dementia. I think everyone should start gathering research and writing research papers for brain exercise. Now, I have been known to write 20-25-page research papers, complete with references, in a day or two. I can teach you how to do it. It's not hard at all! It just takes a few, simple changes that ANYONE can do. Because I do it all the time, I know it is possible for you, too!
Today, when you get home from church or work, I want you to go the library and pick out - oh, say ten sources on your topic of choice. For the rest you can use online sources. Then you need to write your thesis. It's simple. It's just writing what your paper is going to be over. Be sure to include your thesis statement or abstract, it depends upon which style guide you are going to use - APA, Turabian, or MLA. I will help you with that. It's no problem. I know them. You will have the correct format for your paper down in no time!

Remember, this is important for exercising your brain to ward off dementia. You do not want to get dementia. If you get dementia, know that it could have been prevented if you had just followed these simple steps of writing research papers regularly to exercise your brain. You don't want to just not write them out of laziness or convenience. So you go ahead and gather your research. I will help you have that research paper written by tomorrow.
Of course, we know, in reality, that just because I enjoy writing research papers, because I can write them quickly and efficiently, that does not mean everyone can. The same goes for many things. Everyone has a different talent. Everyone has different interests and abilities. The same goes for other issues as well. We often think we can tell other people they should have no problem doing things because we do them well. I can tell you that other people have talents that I do not! For instance, my husband is an awesome cook. I am not. I never have been. I have often been amazed at moms who can whip up a meal out of nothing. I can't do it. I know people who can sew, who can draw, who can do all kinds of different things that I cannot do. And that's okay. That's how God made us. We each have different gifts.
Of course we know if someone gets dementia, it is not because they did not write research papers. We cannot put that kind  of burden on people. It's just life.
People do the best they can.

I know people who are sick.  I know people who have died of horrible illnesses.  As for dementia, both of my parents ended up with dementia before they died.  It is all too easy to place blame on others for illness.  It's because, in our human nature, we want to know why.  We want an explanation.  We also, in a very real way, want control.  We want to be able to control that we will never get sick - that we won't get heart disease or cancer or dementia.  The thing is, we can try all we want; but these things are always going to exist.  No matter what, it is never right to guilt and shame others.  

Comments

Popular Posts