Notebooks

That's a simple enough title for this accurate blog entry.  You see, I love writing.  And, while at times, I do find writing by tapping computer keys to be easy and effective, my favorite method of writing is with a pen (or even at times a quill) and notebook.  I love the feel of the paper beneath my pen, the look of my sometimes sloppy words on the paper, even the ache in my writing hand from scribbling out the words as they enter my mind. 

Pictured below are my current notebooks or journals.  One is for journaling about our family's unschooling activities.  It's a planner in which I jot everyday records.  The quote on the front, "I'm Okay with My Crazy," reflects the unschooling attitude perfectly.  The one that will take its place in a couple months when this one ends reads "Love What You Do."  Another (the one that says "See the World") is a journal in which I write about our travels, our adventures, and even about interesting books I read.  There are many ways to see the world, after all.  The "Moments of Genius" is a journal for my feelings.  It is also the one in which I use my quill and ink the most.  I'm sure it contains a few tear-stained pages.  Right now, I write my novel and other research and writing projects in my "Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful" notebook.  This is one of my favorite notebooks because the quote on the front matches one of my favorite Jason Gray songs.  (Jason Gray is one of the singers I respect the most). 

Oh, did I mention I write different projects in different colors, whether I write in pen or with quill and ink?  For instance, I always write my novel in red.  It just fits (aside from the fact that red is my favorite color). 

For some, this may seem like a rather boring post.  However, what I wrote in it says a lot about me and my ideas.  What's best is I also see my sons writing in their own journals with their own quills or pens. One son is writing two stories - one is being written on his computer and the other in a leather-bound journal with a specific quill.  My other son is writing a story on his computer, but he takes research notes in a certain notebook.  (He has always been a note-taker and artist). 

I would love to see writing by hand make a comeback.  I'm not one who says everyone has to write in cursive.  I'm not one who says people should have perfect penmanship.  However, there is beauty in writing by hand.  It provides an exhilaration that a computer just cannot match.   



Comments

Popular Posts