Idealism and Reality - Can They Be the Same Thing?

I had an interesting conversation at work last night about idealism.

Honestly, I think there is nothing wrong with idealism.  In fact, I think it is a good thing.  However, I also think that the way the world is set up, it is only true for a select few.

I think we are made to believe that hard work and talent will get us anywhere we want to go.  I don't see that as true.  What I see in the real world is that hard work and talent are important, but what actually gets people where they want to go is who they know and how much they have backing them.

This, however, does not mean that we should give up on our ideals, our talents, our dreams, our goals.  It just means that we may have to work hard to keep them alive.

I believe if we can answer the following question with a "yes," we have a good hold on our dreams: "Would you be willing to work a regular job to support yourself and your family and still continue with your dream, even if it made no money for you?"  Sometimes that is what it is going to take.

Unfortunately, I see too many people give up on their dreams because those dreams do not get them where they think they should be financially.  That is sad to me.  My belief is we should never give up; and if that dream is really real, we will pursue it no matter what.

Comments

Popular Posts