Believing - On Dan Reynolds, Imagine Dragons, LGBT Rights, Love Is Love

I recently watched an interview with Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons in which the artist explains his HBO "Believer" project.  Reynolds hopes this project that brings together members of the LGBT population and leaders and members of his Mormon faith will heal some differences between the populations.  In this interview, the Imagine Dragons front man explains he took on this project because he heard of the depression and suicide rates among LGBT individuals in his own Mormon state.  He relates this to an episode from his own life in which he was kicked out of Brigham Young University for having sex with his girlfriend.  He tells of his own feelings of depression during this time and how he felt that everyone knew what had happened and was looking down upon him, even though no one said anything to him. 

I have been a fan of Imagine Dragons since hearing "Demons" and "It's Time" - the latter of which, I discovered by researching old interviews with the band, was written when Reynolds found himself in the midst of this questioning.  I have always been able to relate to the sentiments expressed in their music.  When I first learned of the "Believer" project, I was proud of Dan Reynolds for using his fame to help others who face oppression.  But when I listened to this interview, I felt more than just that pride or happiness.  I, again, could relate to just what Reynolds expressed. 

Around 1998, I began fulfilling a dream when I started attending Bible college.  I was attending a college called Briercrest Bible College that was located in Canada.  I was doing great in my classes that I was taking through correspondence.  But in 2000, everything changed for me.  My mother died early that year. 

I have blogged often about my life while my mother was alive.  I was controlled, emotionally abused, and sheltered.  When she died when I was almost twenty-five, I had no idea what to do with my life; but I knew I had a freedom I had never before experienced.  I started working outside of the home (something I was never allowed to do previously).  It was there that I met and fell in love with a co-worker. 

We started dating a year after we met.  Circumstances at home that I could not handle allowed me to have freedom enough to leave home.  So many people do not understand when I say I chose to get pregnant.  Even though the man who would become my husband and I were not yet married, we planned our pregnancy with our older son.  I remember contacting my college and asking if my changing circumstances would affect my classes there.  I remember them telling me they more than likely would.  For this college, I had to have a mentor who regularly reported to my college.  The pastor's wife at the church I was attending was my mentor.  The pastor did not really take the time to understand my circumstances.  He had already kicked me off the worship team, on which I played guitar.  I knew how this would turn out.  Instead of having the college reject me as so many others did during this time, I stopped my classes.  I dropped out.  It was one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made. 

While I was attending classes at Briercrest, I had purchased a class ring.  It contained my graduation date of 2002.  After leaving Briercrest, I took the ring off.  I did not find the courage to wear it again until I actually graduated from college - almost thirteen years later from a completely different college that had given me the courage to go on with my education. 


It was this specific time of alienation in my life that changed my thinking.  Prior to this episode, I was a legalistic, judgmental, proud, holier-than-thou Christian.  After this experience, I began to understand grace - a grace that would later carry me through experiences in depression, anxiety, and spiritual abuse.  This experience is what caused me to think differently about the LGBT population.  Back when I was a holier-than-thou Christian, I thought I knew all about what God felt about their sin.  But I came to realize I do not know as much as I think.  I am not sin-free, so I certainly cannot cast the first stone.  Why would I want to degrade someone else for something that I, myself, have been guilty of according to these standards?  Why would I want to reject others the way I had been rejected?  God never rejected me.  I know He would not reject them, either. 

So I have become one who stands against the oppression faced by the LGBT population.  I will stand for their rights.  I will make my voice heard (or my writing seen) to love them for who they are. 

So, you see, that interview with Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons is yet another thing I respect about this group.  I have the opportunity to see them in concert next month.  You better believe, I will take that opportunity.  Granted, I'll be in the nosebleed seats, but at least I can be there to support this group I have come to respect more and more. 

Comments

Popular Posts