Confrontation is not wrong

I just read a FB meme that says, "Hitting the gym to release stress is not nearly as effective as hitting the people who caused the stress to begin with."  I wouldn't hit people, but there is a lot of truth in that. I have never understood how people can take anger out in exercise or on a punching bag. I have to address the issue with the people to have any kind of peace. Even if it doesn't solve anything, at least they know how I'm feeling and I know how they're feeling. I think it goes back to always having to keep quiet when I was younger. I believe there is a reason Jesus taught, "If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you saying, 'I repent,' you shall forgive him" (Luke 17:3-4). Notice the first step is going to the brother and telling him what is wrong.  

I have to think this hatred of confrontation or conflict that is prevalent in or society is yet another cause of rampant anxiety and depression.  We even teach children, through counseling, to think positively about themselves rather than confronting issues such as bullying.  We do everything we can to keep from addressing the real issues when addressing the real issues is the only thing that can bring real healing.  


I, for one, am no longer afraid to confront.  I am not afraid to speak out.  I will not just shut up in the name of keeping peace
.  

Comments

Popular Posts