Faithful to God, Despite His People

"Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.  Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful" (Hebrews 10:22-23, NKJV).

For many people, one of the biggest obstacles to faith in God is God's people.  Christians.  The church.  These people try.  But because so much of today's Christianity is focused on the church, they buy into the mistaken idea that the church is a type of god, or at least the way to God.  When they are hurt by their fellow believers, instead of turning to God, they turn away.  They find other beliefs, other ideals, other worldviews that seem more friendly.

I was reading a book that discussed the life of the early American poet Ralph Waldo Emerson.  Emerson is known as a founder of the Transcendentalist movement - a movement that many say elevated humanity to the level of a god.  Ironically, Emerson began his career as a pastor.  But he had an issue with serving communion every week.  He felt that people's lives should reflect their beliefs more than their taking of communion.  Because of his refusal to adhere to the church's doctrine, he was let go.

How this is like Christianity today.  Accept what I believe, don't question; or find your own way.  Emerson did, as many do today.  He wrote in his book Self Reliance, "I remember an answer which when quite young I was prompted to make to a valued adviser who was wont to importune me with the dear old doctrines of the church.  On my saying, 'What have I to do with the sacredness of traditions, if I live wholly from within?' my friend suggested - 'But these impulses may be from below, not from above.'  I replied, 'They do not seem to me to be such; but if I am the devil's child, I will live then from the devil.'"  And, again, "The objection to conforming to usages that have become dead to you is that it scatters your force.  It loses your time and blurs the impression of your character.  If you maintain a dead church, contribute to a dead bible-society, vote with a great party either for the government or against it, spread your table like base housekeepers - under all these screens I have difficulty to detect the precise man you are.  And of course so much force is withdrawn from your proper life."

I cannot say how Emerson's relationship with God was.  He may have been a lot closer than we Christians today give him credit for.  But what a tragedy if he wasn't - if he was chased away by those who represented God.

We see this trend in Christianity today as well.  Those churches that are not afraid to teach the power of God in our everyday lives teach just as strongly their theological bent.  So many people, thus, turn to extra-Biblical ideologies that appear to represent God but, in reality, are detrimental to their spirituality.

The issue of the church is one that I struggle with.  It seems no matter what church I attend, I hear more of the church's doctrine - their interpretation of the Bible - than I hear of God.  (How ironic that the Transcendentalist movement stressed the importance of nature, of creation itself.  I often believe we are closest to God in nature.  Even Jesus taught there are lessons we can learn from creation.  Lessons without theological ties.  This is what many are seeking).

I am not telling people to give up on the church.  The church is an imperfect institution.  It is comprised of imperfect human beings.  But however imperfect, we are still the bride of Christ.  Notice I did not say the institution of the church is the bride of Christ.  We are the bride of Christ.  We followers of Jesus.  We who know Him as Savior.

I believe one of Satan's best tricks is to use God's people to keep us from studying the Bible for ourselves.  I know what it is like to read the Bible and hear doctrinal interpretations ringing in my ears as I read.  The temptation is then to stop reading, because the doctrines that hurt are louder than the words I'm attempting to focus on.  When we stop reading, we stop feeding ourselves.  We become spiritually malnourished.  Not only this, but the words God intended to be our weapon against the forces that war against our inner being are pushed aside.

There is a very real spiritual battle going on within us and around us.  As sad as it sounds, the institution of the church can often be a tool used to pull us away from God and His will.  

"Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.  For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:
'For yet a little while, and He who is coming will come and will not tarry.  Now the just shall live by faith; but if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.'
But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul" (Hebrews 10:.35-39).  

Comments

Popular Posts