More than Money

I was thinking last night at work about the all-familiar question we ask kids, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I keep seeing a meme that I really do like. It's a quote from Steve Jobs about looking until you find a job you love. I think there's a lot of truth in that. But I think all too often we forget that if we love doing something, we should do it whether there is money to be made or not. We make money the be-all, end-all. And it's not. I was just thinking last night. Wal-Mart is definitely not my dream career. But it's a job that pays for me to help support my family. In the mean time, I am doing a lot of things that I am not making money at that are important to me. I'm almost finished with college (at least my bachelor's degrees). I am working on writing two books. I blog quite a bit. I love studying the lives of people. That is something I am getting back into. I plan and facilitate Bible studies. That is something that is extremely important to me, something I feel called to do. I have even been thinking of starting some kind of a classic reading group after I'm finished with this algebra class. Those are things that I love. I do them for enjoyment. If they ever pay me money to do them, all the better. But if they don't, I'm good with that. Just doing them is satisfaction (payment?) enough.

Comments

Popular Posts