Thoughts on Diversty

I play the guitar in the worship team at my church.  Yesterday, we were practicing a song whose melody is written in a very syncopated style.  The words are sung on the up beats (the "ands") rather than on the downbeats.  Trying to sing and play it this way just did not work for the team's interpretation of the song.  So we sang the melody on the downbeats instead. 

There are some that may say, "That is wrong.  It's not the way it is written."  I don't agree.  It is okay to improvise sometimes.  If an artist's style, artistry, or ability does not allow for the song to be sung reggae-like, it's okay to sing it in the way that works and sounds best for that performer. 

Likewise, life is really an art form.  One of my favorite children's books is called The Dreamer by Cynthia Rylant.  If you have never read this book, I recommend you do.  That goes for adults, too.  The book depicts God as the ultimate Artist who made other artists (us) in His own image.  (The artistry of this book is truly breathtaking). 

Doesn't the fact that God created us in His image prove that He wants us to use the creativity He gave us in everyday life?  We can probably all agree on that.  But here's the thing.  That creativity means we are all going to do things differently.  Just like with the song we practiced today.   The danger comes in when we do not allow others that creative freedom; when we say, "My way is the right way.  You have to do it the way it's written." 

I remember when Nathanael, my now nine-year old son, was a baby.  I threw a birthday BBQ for my husband and invited friends and family to celebrate with us.  Nathanael would have been not quite seven months old.  I had family members that argued with me because I would not let him have ice cream.  Now, I knew Nathanael.  I knew how upset his tummy would get if I ate the wrong thing and then nursed him.  I knew his system could not even take baby formula (something we learned on the rare occasions that we had to supplement when I was at work).  But according to some, I was wrong for  not giving him ice cream. 

Still today, many do not agree with the way my husband and I parent our sons.  That's okay.  All kids are different, all families are different.  What is not okay is to presume one way is right for everyone.  There are so many examples I could use other than parenting.  So many lifestyle choices - health, finances, worship style, education choices.  The list would be extensive. 

What we have to remember is just because "this" is the way "everyone" does it or it the way it has "always" been done or "this is the way it's written," it's okay to switch it up once in a while.  It's okay to use our artistic freedom.  God made us individuals.  I believe He expects us to be just that.     

Comments

Popular Posts