Talents

Yesterday, Nathanael, my nine-year old son, and I had a conversation about talent.  Nathanael loves cats.  He is so gentle with them.  Even when he was a little boy (no more than a year or two), the neighborhood cats were attracted to him.  I joke with him and tell him he is a cat whisperer.  Today, we were talking about his cat whispering abilities which led us to this conversation about talent. 

I asked him if he knows why we have gifts and talents.  He asked why.  I told him God gives them to us.  We read the Parable of the Talents from Matthew 25.  We discussed that the talents Jesus was referring to was money, but I believe this Parable also applies to the gifts God gives us.  Nathanael began counting his talents.  He got up to twenty or twenty-one. Then he asked me if I think he has a talent for dogs as well as cats.  I told him he may.  But he loves cats.  And the Parable does say we are given talents according to our own ability.  That means God individualizes our talents.  No two are the same, even if they are similar.  He smiled. 

Comments

Popular Posts