If It is Wrong to Defend, Then What About Standing Against Injustice?

When I was junior high and high school age, one of my favorite subjects was history.  I loved it.  Still do.  I have always found people history fascinating, especially.  Ironically, I do not think I have ever taken a sociology class (even in college).  But that is a digression from the topic.  I love history.

I remember hearing a history lesson once about George Washington Carver.  I remember the history teacher saying something like, "George Washington Carver's life is the opposite of the Civil Rights Movement, because he did not demand equal rights.  He worked for respect.  We would agree with his methods."  That is not verbatim, but I'm sure it's pretty close.

From the time I was in second grade in a Christian school, and then throughout my homeschooling using an ultra-conservative Christian curriculum (the same one used then by the Christian school I went to and, I'm sure not ironically, still used today by the Christian school that eventually evolved from the school I went to as a child), I was taught the ideas of what I call Americanized Christianity in my schooling.  It's the Christianity that is based upon the Bible with flavors of Constantine, Puritanism, and the teachings of John Wesley mixed in for good measure.  It's the kind of teaching that I blogged about yesterday.  "Jesus set an example of perfectionism for us to follow."  Depending upon the denominational interpretation, our very salvation may or may not directly depend upon our own perfection.  (I have heard some denominations actually come out and say we get to heaven by grace through faith and then our adherence to holiness after we're saved; but, again, that is a digression from the point I am trying to make).

Now, granted, I love George Washington Carver.  Such a brilliant mind and a compassionate man.  My sons just finished studying him not long ago for their inventions/inventors study we are neck-deep in right now.  However, I think the statement that was made by my teacher is a bit narrow due to the doctrine it is trying to promote.  It's that doctrine, as I referred to yesterday, that we are not to try to defend ourselves against our accusers.  But let's consider this implication for a moment.

George Washington Carver's background is that he was a slave, owned by a family in Missouri.  One night, his whole family was kidnapped from this family.  Only baby George was recovered.  The family taught George to read and to study.  He always had a passion for learning, and this family encouraged that.  In fact, by the time slavery was abolished, the Carver family raised George as their own son.  George studied hard, went to college, and became one of the most well-known, important inventors of our country.  He lived such an encouraging life.  We should be proud, as Americans, to have him in our history.

But, just for a moment, let's consider those slaves that did not have the life George Washington Carver did.  Let's think of the ones that lived a life so bad they took their chances at being killed during an escape rather than stay with their "masters."  Let's think about those slaves that were beaten to death, the women that were repeatedly raped.  Let's think about the slave owners that were the opposite of the Carvers.  Uncle Tom's Cabin rather than Gone with the Wind.

The statement that George Washington Carver earned his way rather than demanding it kind of hints that these slaves should have just stayed in their suffering, because they were not given the opportunities he was given.  And let's talk the Civil Rights Movement for a moment.  Saying that George Washington Carver believed in working hard for respect where those active in the Civil Rights Movement did not tells me that it's okay for people to be discriminated against due to the color of their skin.  They should just keep their mouths shut and be happy until an opportunity to earn respect comes along.  Once it does (if it ever does), it's okay for those stuck in a discriminatory system to prove themselves.

I am sorry, but I believe the Civil Rights Movement and the underground railroad and every piece of history that demanded that there be equal rights for all was just as necessary as the work of George Washington Carver.  In fact, I believe the demand for Civil Rights is Biblical.  There is example after example of a God who hears the cries of the oppressed.  There is statement after statement in the Bible that says those who persecute others will meet their judgment.  There is statement after statement proving that our "good works" are, in fact, caring about others' needs.  It is standing up for the poor and the oppressed.  It is providing food and love and shelter.  It is visiting those who are sick and those who are in prison.  It is going to "the least of these."  If that is not a defense of people, I don't know what is.  We're often good with the words, but we do not like the action part.  That's not what God is about.  God is not just a God of words.  He is a God of action.  He comes to the aid of the poor and oppressed; and I believe the Bible is clear He expects His followers to do the same.

Jesus did not take the side of the oppressors.  He took the side of the people being oppressed.  Not once did Jesus use the words "Suck it up."  Not once did He tell people, "Just sit still in your hurt."  He took action to end that hurt.  He healed the sick.  And that's not just the physically sick.  He healed the emotionally sick, too.  He cast out demons.  He raised the dead.  He told the Pharisees exactly what He thought of their ideas.  And then He laid down His own life to bring healing to spiritual death.  And today, I believe, He still takes on the cause of the poor and needy.  He still takes on the Pharisees in heated battles.  He still brings physical, emotional, and spiritual healing.  And He expects us to do our part instead of making excuses about how those oppressed just need to wait for the opportunity to prove themselves.  (Please note that this last sentence is meant to be said in the most Steve Urkel-like voice possible).

I, for one, am tired of the attitude of blaming the victim. I am tired of the attitude that the oppressed are at fault for their own oppression.  I, for one, will take a stand of defense.  I believe that's what Jesus wants me to do.



Comments

Popular Posts