Symbols

Am I the only one who likes symbols?  You know, a visual reminder of something that is important to us.  I've always loved symbols.

Today, I received a class ring.  It's my third one, actually.  My first class ring is, of course, from high school.  I was homeschooled, which, at the time, made it difficult to find a class ring.  I ended up special ordering one.  For the school name, it says, "Pensacola Christian High."  It was the closest thing that I could get to my actual school name.  I was homeschooled through A Beka, which is a ministry of Pensacola Christian College, which is associated with Pensacola Christian High School.  They told me they could not order my homeschool name or even "A Beka," because they would have to create a new mold.   Then I personalized it with the name of my own homeschool - the initials of which were "KCVS" (Kandy's Christian Video School).

My second class ring I ordered when I began college back in '98.  It's a crest ring with a "B" in the middle of the stone for "Briercrest," the college I began my primary degree with all those years ago.  Then on each side of the stone, it says, "Bible" and "College."  It has the date I was supposed to have graduated - "2002."

My last class ring, the one I received today is completely different than the other two.  It's what is labeled a "freestyle" class ring.  Pretty appropriate, I think.  The engravings say "Liberty Univ.," "2014," and "Religion."  I chose "Religion," because it is my primary degree.

When I look at my rings, I remember all of the hard work.  I remember the time it took (as the length of time  between ring number two and ring number three - uh - symbolizes).  I see symbols of something that is personally important to me.

Jewelry is one of my favorite forms of displaying the symbols that are important to me.  I wear several rings.  Other than my three class rings, I wear a "WWJD" ring, a Lord's prayer ring, my wedding ring, a ring my husband gave me for Valentine's Day several years ago, and a ring that reads "Ancora Imparo."  It's Latin for "I am Still Learning."  That does not even get into my favorite necklaces and bracelets.  Things like a shield of faith, angel wings, a Native American warrior, and a locket containing my husband's and sons' pictures.

As crazy as it may sound, sometimes those symbols that I wear provide me a lot of encouragement.  Sometimes when I'm feeling down, discouraged, or anxious; those symbols remind me that there is a purpose.  God has a plan.  His plans never fail.


Comments

Popular Posts