What is Worth Fighting For?

I am having issues lately.  Issues with favoritism.

Yesterday morning, I took things to a higher level.  I spoke with someone yesterday morning who was a victim of this favoritism.  I have been a victim of it as well.  Like me, this person had been physically hurt because of the favoritism.  It's not the first time this has happened.  So I contacted someone that I felt may be able to help.  It's really the only thing I could do.  I do not have the authority to stop the situation myself.

There may be repercussions.  There have been in the past for others who have tried to stand against favoritism.  I have thought and prayed about my stand - my fight.  This morning, God gave me an answer.

I have been reading a book called Church 3.0: Upgrades for the Future of the Church by Neil Cole.  The book describes the organic church  movement, something that, as a housechurch-er, is near and dear to my heart.  This morning, I came across this quote in my reading:

"Sanity is knowing what to fight for.  Insanity is fighting for anything.  Cowardice is not fighting for anything.  Some things are worth fighting for.  Some things are even worth losing a fight over.  A few things are worth dying for.  I'm convinced that you are ready to lead when you are able to know the things that are worth dying for, and the things not worth fighting over.  You will find that after you have lived enough to know these things more people will receive your message.  Your authority increases as you realize this is what you know to be true, and all else is secondary" (p. 171).

As I read this quote, I thought of Jesus forming a whip and driving the money-changers - the thieves - those who were swindling others - out of the Temple.  We see the kind, gentle Shepherd fighting for what was important.  We see the one who held children on His lap and said the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these using His same voice to condemn those who were causing harm.

Sometimes we have to know what is worth fighting for.

Comments

Popular Posts