My Perhaps Controversial Thoughts on Memorial Day

My sons and I have been studying the history of Memorial Day today.  We have traced its roots back to the Civil War and Decoration Day.  We have been discussing the Civil War and other wars.  We have recited "In Flanders Field" and even made tissue paper poppy art.  We have visited a local war memorial and discussed the men and women who have died in or are still missing as the result of wars.  It's a somber and sobering experience - one of which we all should show the utmost respect.





I, however, have never understood the concept of "decorating" graves.  I understand to some people it is a tradition.  It is a powerful tool of remembrance.  That is fine.  It does not hold that same power for me.

Call me crazy, but I prefer to remember people's accomplishments, their failures, their lives.  To me, decorating a grave with a flower or a flag is not as respectful as remembering them as a person.  It's how I would prefer to be remembered.  When God says it's time for my earthly life to end, I don't want people remembering me by a well-kept grave.  (I would prefer a much more natural burial than a concrete stone commemorating my name and the years I lived, in all honesty).  I want them to remember who I am in life.

And, anyway, shouldn't we do that more than one day a year?

I warned in the title that my views are controversial.  They may be controversial, but in no way would I want them to be deemed disrespectful.  We all have our own ways of remembering.  Most may remember by visiting a grave.  I prefer to remember by celebrating a life.

Comments

Popular Posts