Yes or No?

I recently was chatting with another homeschooling mom about saying "no" to our children.  I admit it is something that I seldom do with my sons.  Several years ago, I was encouraged to say "yes" more than I say "no."  That was some of the best parenting advice that I have received.

This morning, I read an interesting article about the effects of technology on children.  The point of the article was to show that, in previous generations, children spent a great deal of time exploring.  They spent time outdoors.  Today's kids, on the other hand, spend their time with video games.

It is rather disheartening.

I will be the first to admit that video games are one area to which I do say "no" more often than in other areas.  As much as this brings disagreement from my fellow unschoolers, I do not believe it is good for children to be consistently immersed in electronics and technology.  At least with my sons, too much technological stimulation leads to irritation.

Part of my reasoning probably originates in things I have seen, people I have met.  I have witnessed too many adults who are addicted to video games, who view video games as real life.  I remember one workplace in which the men who worked there would discuss video games as though they were in a real war, fighting real enemies.

In all fairness, I have also seen adults who discuss soap opera characters as though they are real people.  All generations have their quirks, I suppose.  However, those quirks can turn to real addictions and real beliefs.

Perhaps much of this also springs from my own, personal past experiences.  I remember as a teenager, my mother watched every talk show that was on the air.  This was the nineties, so there were many.  She would often see out-of-control teenagers (it was always a big topic) on talk shows and then believe that I thought the same way because I was also a teenager.  It led to control and to so much hurt and misery.

Regardless of my reasons, I do say "no" to constant video games whereas others may not.  Other parents I know may so no to an extra piece of cake or an extra marshmallow when kids are told they can have one.  Like me, they have their reasons.  We are all more influenced by our pasts than we realize.

 

Comments

Popular Posts