On Monster High and Time Travel, Faith, and Being Who We Really Are

A couple of months or so ago, my eleven-year old son was asked by another child his age if he really, truly likes his Monster High bike.  I was close enough to hear my son's response.  He said, "I used to.  Now it's kind of if-y."

Of course, I didn't say anything in front of my son's friend.  However, a day or two later, I asked my son.  I told him I had just overheard their conversation and asked him if he no longer liked his new bike.  He shrugged.

I explained to him that there is no right way or wrong way to like or dislike something.  It's all fine.  It's all opinion.  However, it is important to not allow someone else's opinion to change ours, just to fit in with that person.

Fast forward to last week.  We took part in an event to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.  Somehow, my sons and their friends (and my husband, too) got into a conversation about the possibility of time travel.  They all presented their scientific reasons for believing or not believing in its possibility.  I was proud to see my son stay with his beliefs, even when his friends disagreed with him.  (He believes time travel is possible).  He did not back down.

I also talked with my son about this conversation (which, unlike the first one, sometimes became very loud.  Everyone in our group knew about this conversation).  I told him I was proud of him for standing up for what he believes.  We even talked about the theory of time travel.  We discussed the fact that sometimes people only see things from a scientific perspective.  However, there are so many things that science cannot prove or disprove.  Like God.  Like angels.  Like ghosts.  Like... time travel.

Our talk brought a smile to his face.  And it showed me something as well.  When it comes to matters of faith - not of indoctrination or dogma, but real faith - my son stands by what he feels.

And he still enjoys riding his Monster High bike.  Sounds like a win/win situation.

Comments

Popular Posts