More on Success

As I have written many times, today's Americanized version of success says success is money.  This, however, is not real success.

I want to share something I recently posted on my Facebook page.  Actually, it was first in response to a discussion in a homeschooling forum.  A fellow homeschooling mom posed the question, "Are you doing what you wanted to be when you grew up?"  What an awesome question.  It got me to thinking.  This was my response:

"When I was very young, I wanted to be a ballerina. Then it went to wanting to be a singer/musician. All through my teenage years, I played stringed instruments (guitar, banjo, mandolin, and bass) and wrote songs. I did a lot of talent shows, etc. Then my other goal was to write. I have been a freelance writer for many years - off and on, at least. I always felt a call to go into ministry, and I do facilitate Bible studies and volunteer for prison ministries. I have also always learned things when I picture myself teaching, and I'm a homeschooling mom and work as a para. One of my huge goals growing up was to go to college. It took me many years, but I have two bachelor's degrees (religion and education) and one master's (human services: Christian ministries). I am currently working on my second master's (history - to eventually, I hope, be a teacher or professor that works with adults pursuing either their GEDs or higher education). So, yeah, all except for the ballerina, I have done."  

Kind of puts the definition of success in perspective.  Success isn't about money, it's about being ourselves.

Comments

Popular Posts