Why I'm Introverted

I will be the first to admit I have distanced myself from certain people.  However, I have not distanced myself from them because they think differently than I do.  I distanced myself from them because they caused me to feel wrong or less than if I did not think they way they thought.  They were toxic environments.

I distanced myself from a church that swore all other churches were unsaved because they baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit rather than only in the name of Jesus.  I distanced myself from a homeschooling group when the the leader informed me I could no longer use their name to organize field trips because I am not opposed to gay rights.  That sort of thing.

Don't believe it?  Consider that my husband is of the pagan religion.  He was when I met him. I am what is traditionally called a Christian.  I have been all of my life.  That is, I know Jesus as my Savior and accept His atoning death.  He is the Lord of my life.

Currently, I work in the public school system.  I home/unschool my own sons.  I am a vegetarian who worked for three years total at Burger King and another two years in other fast food (think hamburger) restaurants.  I associate with people who believe differently than I do because, frankly, I do not think there are many who do believe as I do.  If there are, I haven't met them yet.

Do you know how many questions and comments I have received because I accept that other people do not have to think like I do?  Why is it so uncommon for opposite types of people to attract or become friends?  Why is it so uncommon to respect other people while upholding and standing for what we believe?

I believe there is a major problem in our society today.  We honestly believe we have "the right" ideas - the more thought-through, educated viewpoint.  If we meet someone who thinks or believes or acts differently than we do, then we need to show them - to guide them to - our way of thinking.  Perhaps they will convert.  If they do not, then they will never be a part of our group - our clique, if you will.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I like variety.  I like people believing and thinking and acting different than I believe and think and act.  I don't hold it against them.

However, the fact that this is not generally a societal tendency pushes me away from said society.  It pushes me inward.  It adds to my introversion, if you will.  Growing up, I was extremely extroverted.  Then I met more people.

I began to notice the trend first in churches. Churches are great - if you accept their denominational (or lack there-of) doctrine.  If not, you become a good pew warmer.

Lest you think non-Christians are immune, they are not. They just do not have a specific theology written out the way churches do.  That does not mean they do not have their own ideas that they feel are justified and right.  If you disagree, you can warm the chair, since they don't have pews.

I cannot tell you how many times I feel I have to justify our family educational choices to educators (even other, more traditional homeschoolers).  It is even greater when they realize one of my sons has dyslexia and struggles in certain areas.  (The fact that kids with such different abilities in public schools, private schools, and traditional homeschools have the same struggles is null in their minds).

I could go on with many other ideas from politics to the way a home should be organized, but you get the gist.  It saddens me.  It angers me.  It frustrates me.  It introverts me.

Comments

Popular Posts