The Difference Between Blasphemy and Heresy

There is somewhat of a joke among people who read the novel (my first fiction project) I am working on.  My fiction project covers so many of the ideas I have written in non-fiction.  Some of it has, in fact, appeared in this blog.  It also covers my own, personal experiences.

The joke interprets the opinions and (ahem) events and circumstances in the book as blasphemous.  I, in turn, explain that it's not blasphemous.  It's heretical.  There's a difference.

That may appear to be a fine line or simply a difference of semantics; but please allow me to explain.

The term blasphemous contradicts or mocks God.  While my characters may struggle with and question their own spirituality at times, there is nothing that I consider blasphemous in my writing.  Some of the circumstances may raise eyebrows, but, then, so do many of the circumstances in the Bible.  (I always tell people in Bible studies, if the Bible were made into a movie, it would not be PG).  What my characters endure are human emotions, human imperfections, human pain.  There is nothing that contradicts what I believe to be Scripture or the Word of God, as a follower of Jesus.

That, however, does not mean that all theologians will accept with open arms everything that I have written.  In fact, judging from some of the responses I have received from my non-fiction writing, I know they would not.  But that's okay.

In the words of the apostle Paul, "I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.  My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent.  It is the Lord who judges me" (I Corinthians 4:3-4, NIV). 

If there is one thing I gleaned from my college theology classes it is this: don't be afraid to rock the boat.  Don't be afraid to disagree with established doctrines.  Our Biblical examples were not.  In fact, even Jesus Himself did not fear the Pharisees' opinions that He was a heretic (which they did - believe and boldly proclaim, that is).  

I believe this is true not only in fiction (as in the case of my own writing), but in real life.  It is so easy to idolize theology or man-made interpretations.  It is easy to want to fit in with the good people by altering our opinions and beliefs.  This, however, is not the most productive path, spiritually.  Nor is it the example given in the Bible.



    

Comments

Popular Posts