One-upping

Growing up, I was surrounded by people who liked to one-up.  You know the people.  The ones who make you feel like you are walking on eggshells.  The ones who you feel like you always have stay one step ahead of them.  It is no wonder I grew up feeling as though I constantly had to prove myself.

Throughout the years, I've distanced myself from one-uppers.  I do not keep in contact with these individuals.  One by one, they have become people that I only see if I pass them in the mall or on the street.  A simple "hi" and I move on.  However, I made the mistake of allowing some of these people on my social media.  That, too, is being cleaned out and cleaned up.

I think my adult experiences in spiritual abuse taught me to eliminate such toxic people from my environment (and, more recently, my Facebook).  In that environment, I always felt that I had to prove myself, to show I was worthy.  These experiences forced me to come to terms with other, similar but different, circumstances from my past.  That's a good thing.  Gaining the strength to leave a spiritually abusive situation gave me the strength to say no to familial ties that fettered me.

Many people from my past do not realize how much I have changed because of my experiences.  They are realizing, though, that I have changed.  In my opinion, it is a change for the better.  I will no longer allow people to attempt one-upping.  I refuse to allow myself to feel as though I have to prove myself to them or anyone else.  I will sever connections when necessary.  I will live my life to the fullest, and that means not having to deal with such attitudes and actions.


Comments

Popular Posts