Affected by those we have never met...

I remember the first time I was affected by a celebrity's death.  I would have been fourteen when I heard of Keith Whitley's death from alcohol intoxication.  I was never sure why I felt the way I felt.  He was never really one of my favorite singers, to be totally honest.  But just what I heard about his life and death touched me.  I even wrote a song that included line about him.  I never told anyone about it.

The second person I never met that touched my life was Heath Ledger.  But it really came about in a strange way.  I mean, I always liked his movies.  I always thought he had a very classic style of acting.  But one night I had a dream.  The dream was very somber, very dark.  It had lot of sorrow and anxiety.  And it had Heath Ledger.  Two days later, I heard of his death.  Because of the connection with the dream, I began researching all I could about his life.  Eventually, that research and what I have learned because of it is going to be included in book form.  What I learned most is to never be afraid to care about someone who has very different ideas than you do.  Not too  many years ago, I would have looked at someone who lived a life like Heath Ledger lived and judged what kind of person they were.  But when I studied his life, I saw someone who was searching for something deeper.  It is said that the morning of his death, he was supposed to meet with Deepak Chopra.  According to the New Age guru, Heath Ledger had been asking a lot of existential questions, questions about the true meaning of life.  He was an old soul, it is said.  I believe it.  I believe it showed through in his acting, in his roles (even his most controversial ones.  Perhaps those ones the most).  Learning of his life, his questions, his struggles made me want to understand other people more indepthly, without judgment and self-righteousness.

Last nigh, I learned of the apparent suicide of Robin Williams.  I remember watching episodes of Mork and Mindy when I was growing up.  After that, I never really saw much of his work - until Mrs. Doubtfire aired on TV.  It was hilarious and touching all at the same time.  Robin Williams' acting ability shined.  When my husband and I met, he showed me Good Morning, Vietnam.  I remember the day we found out I was pregnant with our older son, now eleven, we went to see Insomnia at the movie theater.  Then, just a couple of months ago, at the library, I ran across a movie from my teen years that I had never seen but always thought would be interesting - Dead Poets Society.  I cried at the end as John Keating's students stood on their desks and, against the wishes of their authority figure, saluted him with the words, "O, captain, my captain."  There are few movies that have made such an impact on me as this one has.  I became a Robin Williams fan all over again.  That's why when I heard of his depression and suicide, I could not bear to think of someone who has brought happiness to so many people being in that much despair and darkness.

I have written somewhat extensively about the depression that I encountered in my not-so-distant past.  When I was in the midst of this depression, I read a statement in a Beth Moore book about her own experience.  She said that when she was in the midst of this time in her life, she would have wanted her life to end had it not been for her daughters.  I could relate to that.  My sons were the only thing that kept me somewhat going during the worst of this depression.  I can imagine why someone would feel they had no  choice in life as Robin Williams apparently felt.  That truly is a heartbreaking thought.

I believe each of these three celebrities touched my life for a reason.  I believe each of them led me to learn more about myself and others and caused me to be more accepting and understanding.  They each have taught me to stop seeing in black and white and to be able to empathize with how others are feeling.  They have taught me to seek an understanding of hurt rather than just assume the sin.  What a wonderful lesson through people who used their God-given talents to bring a smile to the hearts of people they never met.

Comments

Popular Posts