A College Discussion Board - to a Pastor Who Sees No Value in Psychology, because Psychology Is not Biblical

I wanted to share something that I wrote for a college discussion board for a class I am taking over the integration of psychology and theology.  In my original post, I was to address the concerns of a pastor who feels that psychology is not Biblical.  After my original post, my professor posed a question for me: do I feel that if we approach psychology from the angle of beliefs - that irrational beliefs drive pathology - would this change many pastor's viewpoints on psychology?  Below is my original post and my response to my professor's question.

Original Post 

Pastor, I can understand your concern with me studying psychology at Liberty University. Please allow me to explain why I feel this study is appropriate.
There are many examples in the Bible of people who were psychologically troubled. I think of these statements: “It is enough! Now, Lord, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!” (I Kings 19:4b, New King James Version), “Cursed be the day in which I was born! Let the day not be blessed in which my mother bore me! Let the man be cursed who brought news to my father, saying, ‘A male child has been born to you!’ Making him very glad,” (Jeremiah 21:14-15, New King James Version), “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the chief” (I Timothy 1:15b, New King James Version). These are not words of the ungodly. They are the words of people who God had specifically chosen to minister – Elijah, Jeremiah, and Paul.
Pastor Jay Adams promoted the idea of strictly Biblical counseling, insisting that a sinful human being cannot counsel another using ideas of other sinful human beings (Brewers & Peters, n.d., “Theological Underpinnings of Integrated Counseling”). Adams believed the only need for psychiatric practice was for victims of brain injuries (Entwistle, 2010). His belief shows his worldview is that of a strict, fundamentalist theology. However, if we consider these Biblical examples and others, we will see that psychological issues are not always the direct result of sin (Hawkins & Moitinho, 2012, “Theological Underpinnings of Integrated Counseling”) or brain injuries (Entwistle, 2010). To blame all psychological issues on sin, as fundamentalist, evangelical Christianity often does (Entwistle, 2010) and insist that ideas such as psychology that are conceived in the minds of sinful human beings cannot be trusted to help others in need (Brewers & Peters, n.d., “Theological Underpinnings of Integrated Counseling”) is like saying that modern medicine cannot help the physically ill or modern education cannot teach. If one truly studies the Gospels, it is evident that even Jesus offered a type of counseling to the people He encountered. He saw beyond the sin and into the real issues that people were experiencing.
I can understand how Adams and others who follow in his steps believe. Prior to my own psychological and spiritual trial, I considered psychology to be useless. I was very harsh, believing that people who sought psychological help were simply not strong enough to deal with everyday issues. I felt if people were strong enough in their Christian beliefs, those beliefs should be enough. However, when I went through my own anxiety and depression, coupled with spiritual abuse, I realized how wrong I had been. Studying the works of Bible teachers and Christian counselors who taught me from both a psychological and theological position brought me comfort that cold theology could not.
I was raised in a spiritual environment that was legalistic in many ways. I was taught a black and white, right and wrong philosophy. That is what I always lived by. Now, however, I realize that people are much more complicated than that. It is through the integration of psychology and theology that Christian counselors are able to provide Biblical comfort and healing to their clients. If we view Biblical hermeneutics (Entwistle, 2010) with an open mind, there is little difficulty in integrating these two disciplines.

Response to My Professor's Question 

Dr. Campbell,
Thank you for your question.
I do agree that approaching the topic of the integration of psychology and theology with a focus on irrational beliefs driving pathology may help more pastors to see the value of psychology. It would give a type of formula for psychology to fit into theology. It would give psychology a theological twist, so to speak. I generally see much emphasis placed upon doctrines of the church when I speak with church leaders. Therefore, if we could fit psychology into the anthropological (Entwistle, 2010) doctrinal beliefs, pastors may better understand the need for such studies.
However, I am not sure that this would help people that are in real need of Christian counseling, particularly pastoral counseling. I have, personally, had more than one discussion with church leaders about psychological issues - everything from addictions to emotional and spiritual strongholds to the plight of the poor - and every time, in every one of these discussions, the leaders do not doubt the irrational beliefs, per se; but they always place blame on the victim. Sometimes - many times - it is not the fault of the victim.
I have tried to use Biblical examples such as the perspective of grace and mercy. "For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment" (James 2:13, English Standard Version). I receive the argument back that we are to judge with a righteous judgment (John 7:24). I use the argument that sometimes the devil just attacks, due to no fault of the victim. I speak of Job experiencing this. His friends, also, blamed him. They told him he had to have done something wrong, but they were wrong. Though I have never heard a good argument against this reasoning, this line of thinking does not persuade them to consider a new hermeneutical approach (Entwistle, 2010).
I believe today's fundamentalist (sometimes, simply evangelic) Christianity focuses so much on the eternal (Entwistle, 2010), that it loses sight of life here on earth. It does not bother itself with people's problems in the here and now. It places sin as the reason for everything (Hawkins & Mointinho, 2012, "Theological Underpinnings of Integrative Counseling"). If only we could be more open in our hermeneutics (Entwistle, 2010), we would see a God who did not just put us on earth to die and go to heaven. He gave us an earthly life for a reason. We are to live it. Jesus taught, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" (John 10:10, English Standard Version). I believe we have to ask ourselves, is our hermeneutical approach (Entwistle, 2010) on the side of the theif or the side of Jesus?
Lastly, I believe that conservative theology, in general, is busy trying to counter postmodernism (Entwistle, 2010) rather than seeing there may be some ideas presented in this worldview that have some Biblical merit. Getting outside of our doctrinal box and seeing that maybe the Bible is saying something different than our church theology teaches can expand our viewpoint of God. God is not a denomination. Denominations and doctrine, while they can be important, are not at the same level as the Bible. Again, if we approach hermeneutics (Entwistle, 2010) with an open mind and heart, God may be able to show us new things that we had never thought of. "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him" (James 1:5, English Standard Version).
Seeking the wisdom of God, praying for the wisdom of God is a good first step. I believe that is the best thing any of us can do.
Thank you, again, for your question. God bless.
Kandy

References 
Brewer, G. & Peters, C. (n.d.).  "Theological underpinnings of integrative counseling."  COUN 506: Integration of Psychology and Theology, Liberty University.  

Entwistle, D. (2010).  Integrative approaches to psychology and Christianity: An introduction to worldview issues, philosophical foundations, and models of integration (2nd ed.).  Eugene, OR: Cascade Books.  

Hawkins & Moitinho (2012).  Theological Underpinnings of Integrative Counseling [video file].  Retrived from https://learn.liberty.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_212738_1&content_id=_6026729_1 

Comments

Popular Posts