Trying to Convert with Fear

I read an article early this morning that brought back so many hurtful memories.

The article was about two nurses - one Muslim, one Christian.  The Muslim nurse was ill.  She was afraid.  She was hurting because of her fear that she could possibly die.  The Christian nurse prayed for her.  All should end well.  But it didn't.  Instead of simply praying with her co-worker, the Christian nurse decided the Muslim nurse needed a book about a woman who converted from Islam to Christianity.  So she gave her one.  At the woman's weakest point.  At a point when her co-worker was fearing for her life.  Perhaps she had family that she was worried about.  Perhaps her health problems were causing her physical pain as well as emotional pain.  But that didn't matter.  What mattered was using this woman's fears against her.  What better time to try to convert someone to your religion than when they are at their lowest point, right?

If you have never been in a similar circumstance, consider yourself blessed.  I have been in this circumstance.  A circumstance I never thought I would find myself in.  I was also fearful due to health worries.  I wanted prayer.  Oh, I wanted anyone to pray for me.  What I received was people trying to convert me to a different brand of Christianity.  What I received was "Go through this motion, and God will bring healing."  What I received was a torment that pushed me into an almost three-year long depression.

I know what this woman feels like.  She is now suing her Christian co-worker for attempting to convert her.  Regardless of how you or I feel about suing over the issue, I believe this woman has a right to be angry.  She has a right to be hurt.  She has a right to feel every emotion that is probably tingling through her body.  Believe me, I still feel these emotions four years later.  When I read this news story, I cried with the Muslim woman because I could feel her pain.

I know what it is like to have Jesus and His perfect, holy name used as a weapon.  A weapon that is launched when you cannot think clearly.  A weapon that is fired when the weight of the world is on your shoulders and you don't know what to do.

If only Jesus' followers would follow His example.  Jesus met people's physical needs, and they came to Him with their spiritual ones.  He didn't say to the leper, "Well, you know if you would just follow God more closely, you could be healed."  He didn't make the woman with the flow of blood feel as though she needed to do anything to "deserve" healing.  God doesn't work that way.  We need to stop working that way, too.

Comments

Popular Posts