I Know What I'm Talking About

A couple of nights ago at work, I had an issue arise in which I felt my understanding (i.e. intelligence) was doubted.

It happens a lot when you work at Wal-Mart (a topic I will be including in a college discussion board this week).  When people think "Wal-Mart" and certain positions such as "cashier" or "stocker" or "maintenance," among others;  it seems they automatically assume "unintelligent or you would be doing something else."

I have to admit the feeling that people feel I am stupid is one of my biggest internal issues.  As I have written about before, I was often called "stupid" or "lacking in common sense" when I was growing up.  Then when people discovered I was homeschooled, strangers automatically felt they could begin quizzing me.  It still happens today.  Homeschoolers are often judged by more stringent standards in society than others.  It is okay if a public school kid does not know the history of the Roman Empire, but let a homeschooler not know it, and it is a very different story.

This background really makes me feel the need to prove myself.  Still today I become so frustrated, irritated, angry, defensive when people automatically assume certain positions equate lack of intelligence.  I find myself defending myself and my intelligence by giving specific examples - much the way I did when I was quizzed and tested by strangers.

Maybe one day I will get past it.

Comments

Popular Posts