Knowledge - It's Different for Everyone

My husband and I took our sons bowling today.  Taliesin, our twelve year old who has dyslexia, kept referring to the diagram of the pins that is fastened to the score board.  Taliesin learns well through art, through manipulatives, through diagramming ideas out in his mind.  He most definitely has a spacial intelligence.

Taliesin won two of the three games we played.  His strategy based upon his own, personal learning style paid off.

I have often written about people misunderstanding Talieisn's learning.  Many expect to put him in a standardized box and and for him to be able learn to their specifications.  That just doesn't work well for him.

When I was growing up, I was considered "book smart."  In fact, the fact that I was "book smart" caused a lot of family arguments.  I was accused of having no common sense because I thought differently.  I was often called stupid because I am a linguistic learner.

But now, my linguistic style of learning has come in handy.  I cannot tell you how studying has helped me understand the learning process when it comes to my own sons.  I cannot say how much I learned through my classes that were required for my education degree.  I cannot tell you how much I have learned through online homeschooling/unschooling groups and unit study ideas I have found online.  Even though how I learn is very different from how my sons learn, I have been able to understand their learning styles by indulging in mine.

Oh, if we could only learn that knowledge is not a one-size-fits all thing.  It's not "You fit into this box, or you're wrong."  It's all about diversity and respect and individuality.  I see advances being made in this area.  Some steps in the right direction.  Let's keep accelerating.




Comments

Popular Posts