Respecting Diversity - Even in Mindless Conversations

You know those Facebook memes that attempt to make the reader feel guilty if they do not re-post?  The ones that say, "Share if you care about suffering children" or "Share if you believe in Jesus" or "Post if you are for God.  Ignore if you are for the devil."  Those memes try to manipulate people's emotions.

I have been reading a lot of similar sentiments over the latest internet trend - the question of whether the dress is white and gold or blue and black.  The sentiment of the people in question is generally, "There are so  many  more important things to talk about than the color of a dress."

Yep.  There probably are many more important things.  But those things are also more important than sports (just try telling that to people around the Super Bowl each year), than music and movies and books (tell that to the entertainment enthusiast), than the latest fashions, than if our kids did something funny, than endless religious and political debates....  Need I go on?

What it all really comes down to is diversity.  While I may dislike football, I really have no right to tell someone else they are not concerned for the well-being of others if they do and if they do like to debate over whether certain footballs were deflated or if another team should have won.  My opinion just isn't true.  It's just me trying to impose what I want to hear on others.  And it's not right.

In the same respect, if I do not want to read someone's post about a dress or the weather or the latest comedy flick, then I should just hide that person's post instead of trying to tell them they are an inconsiderate person for daring to go against what I think they should do.

I've always said about people that want to tell me how to live my life, "Let's give it a try.  But in all due respect, I should be able to run yours as well.  There's going to be changes on both ends.  I can't guarantee that you'll be happy with them."

I just read a quote that says:

"We're all starving for grace, and at the same time, withholding that grace from each other" - Christy Wright 

How true that is.  Even when it comes to mindless conversations.  


Comments

Popular Posts