"This is wrong"

I was just thinking tonight that if I were to see someone in any kind of hurt or pain or misery because of the actions of another person, I would stand up and say, "This is wrong."

This is why I believe in social justice.  I truly believe it is my duty as a Christian to do so.  It's why I write so much about the "isms" in society - classism, ageism, sexism, etc.  I believe there are people groups who are  oppressed.  Often they are oppressed by people who use the Bible as a weapon.  I will do my best to be a part of correcting this oppression.

At the same time, I know there are certain people who are oppressed.  Certain individuals who are not valued for who they are in their individual circumstances and locations.  It may be due to one of the "isms."  On the other hand, it may be due to old-fashioned favoritism.  Again, I take steps to at least do my part to share awareness or improve conditions for these individuals.

It has taken me many years to come to believe that I am as valuable as everyone else.  Throughout my past, I was expected to be like others.  It took me a long time to realize it's okay to be me, because I have value.  Maybe this is why now I feel guilty if I stand against actions that affect me.  If they affected someone else, I would not even question jumping in to help.  But when they affect me, I do.
And when I finally take that step, I feel guilt.  I feel disappointment in myself and questioning whether God is disappointed in me.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I don't think He is.  That is my hope.  I believe God sees me as just as valuable as others.  I believe He does not want me to suffer any more than He wants them to suffer.  I believe He put this passion for social justice in my heart for a reason.

Tests are never easy.

Comments

Popular Posts