We're All Confused

I had someone ask me today about housechurching - specifically how, if we do church at home - we know we are not getting it wrong.

First I quoted Neil Cole, author of Church 3.0 - that it easier for heresy to arise in a group of people who are following the teachings of one leader than in a group of people who are studying and discussing and giving various opinions of the Bible.

He then said that the traditional church has a doctrine they follow, regardless of the leader.  He pointed to a select religious group that does not believe in the Trinity.

I explained that this religious leader was no more confused that John Calvin.  They were just confused in different ways.  John Calvin was no more confused that John Wesley.  John Wesley was no more confused that Martin Luther.  Martin Luther was no more confused that the pope.  They were and we are all confused - just in different ways.  I do not believe God is going to kick out a Catholic or a Protestant or Morman - just because they all believe differently.  They all recognize His Son.  God sees the heart.

We even got into a discussion about atheism.  I mentioned atheists who truly understand the human heart - they understand human emotions.  They are spiritual in that way.  Whether they're right with God is up to God, not up to me.  To me, we're all on a spiritual journey.

I wish I had thought to mention that the organic church movement is much like the homeschooling movement.  Those of us in these movements do not feel we need to rely upon the professionals - the experts in the field.  Why?  Because we have relationship.  We homeschoolers have a relationship with our kids.  We know them inside and out.  We know what they are passionate about and what sets them off.  We in the organic church movement are just as confident about our relationship with God.  We trust Him to guide us - just like those in traditional churches.  However, we just do not feel the need to rely upon the experts, the professionals.

That's what I wish I would have added, but I didn't think to do so.

Oh, well, there's always a next time.






Comments

Popular Posts