I Will Not Cease to Speak Out Against Exclusivism

I was just a part of a Facebook conversation that reminded me how I learned what I learned about exclusivism. I have shared this often, but I think it is important to re-share it as often as possible.
I went to a church for two years that was very exclusive. They were exclusive to the point of believing that all other churches were going to hell because they did not have the same doctrine as this church. If anyone (I'm raising my hand here! Pick me! Pick me!) questioned or disagreed or offered a different viewpoint, that person was allowed to be a pew warmer. There was no place.

I remember the time I was "invited" to help with VBS. When I got there, I was given the year- old son of the youth pastor and pointed to a room in which I was allowed to do crafts with him.
This church made it very clear that you do not say anything that could present this group in a bad light - even if it is the truth. The church needed curb appeal, according to these sermons - obviously, in more ways that one.
I learned a lot about exclusivism from this church. I learned that I will never be a part of any group that does not agree to disagree, even about major issues. I will not submit myself to that type of behavior.
Now, when I find myself in this situation, I give people a chance. I do not rush out of opportunities. However, if it becomes clear that this circle or group or whatever the situation may be is exclusive, I do leave and not look back.
My experience at this church is also why I educate people about exclusivism and its dangerous effects. I know what it can do to people's emotional health. I know the feelings that arise - the anger, the hurt, sometimes even the depression. I will not cease to speak out against exclusivism.

Comments

Popular Posts