Unschooling - When the Time is Right (Perspectives)

This summer, we barely had time for anything extra.  My sons were both in so many programs through our public library that we had time for reading for summer reading programs and that was about it.

After the programs ended, we took our week's vacation and visited some historical and scientific events.  Then we got into some of my sons' picks for studies.  Most of these studies have been based upon books that we found while we were on vacation.

For instance, my twelve-year old found a book called Haunted Kansas and a book called Ghost Towns of Kansas at one of the museums we visited.  We've been reading these books and plotting the locations of the towns and cities mentioned on maps of Kansas.  My twelve-year old got into maps last year, but this year, it's a different kind of map study.

My ten-year old picked a book called Germophobia from a science museum, which has led us back into a study of fractions, decimals, and percentages - along with the science in the book.  The funny thing is, we studied fractions, decimals, and percentages last year, too.  But this year, we're approaching them from a different perspective.

Before our vacation, I found a book called Battles of the Bible in the Wal-Mart bargain book section.  I picked it up, because I thought my sons would really love it.  I was right.  They have been making timelines and playing out the battles on Minecraft as we study.  Again, many of these battles we have discussed in passing through our nightly Bible studies.  But now we are approaching them from a different perspective.

I think that is one of the beauties of unschooling.  We often do not see there is more than one way to approach various topics, various studies.  There is more than one perspective.  I hope this lesson about perspective is one that sticks with my sons throughout their lives.  I hope they understand that to see a topic from only one perspective is somewhat shallow.  It is okay - in fact, it is good - to indulge in seeing ideas from all directions.  When the time is right, the topics will re-present themselves.  When the time is right, we will be allowed to explore these ideas in a whole new light.        

Comments

Popular Posts