On the Ideas of Kirk Cameron

Okay, I'm going to say it.  I am not a Kirk Cameron fan.  I know, I know in the Christian world, that could result in time in the stocks.  But I am just not a fan of the man.  After being required to watch episodes of The Way of the Master for a theology class several years ago, I found him to be (in my humble opinion) egotistical.  I felt he ignored people's real needs in favor of his chosen theology.

Kirk Cameron's latest movie is entitled Saving Christmas.  (Last month, this some how translated to Saving Halloween, which had Kirk convincing people who would have never dreamed of celebrating the holiday before that the Christian thing to do is to have the world's biggest Halloween party.  It's not that I care what his convictions are.  It's the fact that he was able to so easily sway so many people to give up what they have believed.  If they change their mind on their own, hey, that's great.  But don't let someone else decide for you).  There are videos circulating to promote this latest Christian endeavor.  One of the most recent ones that I have seen pictures Kirk telling women (moms, in particular) that they should show their joy this Christmas by singing songs, cooking, and decorating the house.  Before men feel left out, he has one for you, too!  Have no fear.  It tells you to decorate and hang the lights when your wife asks you to.  Heck, throw in doing the dishes for good measure!

GAG!

Can we really fit any more stereotypes into 50-second promotions?

I have news for you, Kirk.  Christmas is my favorite holiday.  And we do it as a family.  In fact, it's such a family affair for us that we also celebrate Hanukkah (my son's idea, btw), St. Nicholas Day, and the Twelve Days of Christmas.  "I" do not do the cooking and decorating and singing.  In fact, my husband does most of the cooking.  That's how we roll.  It's his talent, not mine.  Just tonight, my sons were listening to Christmas music while writing out their Christmas lists.  Their choice, not mine.  We all decorate the tree and the house.  It's a time of joy.  The real kind.  Not the kind that I have to show to show my kids what joy is.

So please stop stereotyping.  Please stop thinking that your opinion is the only opinion.  Please stop fitting Christmas into a neat, little traditional box.  It's so much more.

Comments

Popular Posts