Struggles and Maleficent

Have you ever had one of those weeks that were just full of struggles.  Struggles in yourself.  Struggles with other people.  One thing on top of the other.  Eventually, you just let it all out.  Sometimes not in the most constructive way.  Sometimes it comes out in the form of crying or anger or even an adult melt-down.

I had one of those weeks this week.

I posted about it on my Facebook.  I wrote of my people issues I've been having lately and why I feel guilty for those issues.  I feel guilty for not liking what some people do, because I understand those people have faced a lot of rejection that has led to their behavior.  I know what rejection feels like.  It's not fun.  I feel bad for them because of that.  But at the same time I cannot allow myself to feel manipulated.  It's a real struggle.  I wrote of how, after a particularly bad experience, I called out to God and told him I cannot do this.  I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I cannot.  I call it it a God thing, others may not; but immediately after I finished my vent to God, a song came on the radio that talks about calling out to God that we are not strong enough to take on what He has given us.  Later that day, I also read in a college text book for a human growth and development class I am taking about the struggle between idealism and realizing our human limitations.  God answered me through those.  I wanted to share that.  I wanted to share my own weaknesses and God's strength.  Because that's really what it was.  Grace upon grace, as the apostle Paul called it.

As soon as I posted this, I received a response from a fellow Christian that I do not know.  He was a mutual friend of someone that I wrote for in a book compilation.  He began giving me the standard Christian responses, "Rely on the Holy Spirit... Realize who you are in Christ..."  The responses we always get when we open up about our real life.

It is sad to me that people (Christian people) automatically assume struggle means sin and doubt and that we need their well-thought-out advice to get us through.  I am not meaning to be rude by any means, but that is not encouragement.  That is condescending and patronizing at times.  People (Christian people) want so bad to sound holy and close to God that we fail to recognize our own struggles, other people's struggles, our own limitations, and other people's limitations.

Last night, we rented the movie Maleficent.  You know, that movie says a lot.  It takes the original, picture perfect, traditional fairy tale and shows there is another story behind it.  It shows hurt, it shows betrayal, it shows anger, it shows vengeance, it shows love, it shows forgiveness, it shows an ultimate purpose in all the suffering.  It shows what Christianity should show but doesn't.  Christianity is often the Sleeping Beauty to real-life's Maleficent.  I, personally, believe it is time for that to change.  I will do my part in sharing my struggles, in sharing my sin, in sharing my anger and hurt and joy and sadness.  I respect others that I see doing the same.  Maybe we will make a small ripple in the Sleeping Beauty world that will affect others that come after us.  Who knows?  I've always believed God often uses a few people to change the world.  Maybe He is using a few of us to change a mindset.  

Comments

Popular Posts